Rad Reading- October

This month I read The summer I turned pretty by Jenny Han

A fifth teen year old teenager named Isabel Conklin who goes by belly is just a normal girl who goes to the cousins beach house every summer. She has spent every summer there since she was born. She thinks of the beach house as a magical place. Her mom Laurel was best friends with Susannah who belly thought of as her second mom. She always felt a special connection between them. Susannah owned the beach house and had two kids of her own. Two boys named Conrad and Jeremiah Conrad was the oldest; he was seventeen and Jeremiah was sixteen. Jeremiah was one of belly’s best friend. Conrad and Jeremiah were also friends with belly’s older brother Stevan who was seventeen. Belly also loved going to the beach house to see a special someone. She has had a crush on Conrad ever since she was ten but all Conrad saw her as was just a little sister. Every summer the boys would always leave belly out and never wanted her to hang out with them. But this summer was different, belly finally hit puberty and looked a lot different than last summer. She got her braces off ; got rid of her glasses and wore contacts. When she was near the beach house all she smelled was the salty air and remembered all the incredible memories that they have made every summer.
The reason why I like this book is because it’s about friendship, a little bit of romance, family, and coming of age and those are the kind of books I always enjoy. I also liked how Susannah always made people feel welcomed and I also liked how she was super nice to everyone.
My favorite character in the book is Jeremiah because he’s nice and he treats belly like his own little sister. In chapter seventeen Jeremiah offers belly to teach her how to drive stick when the other boys were too lazy to teach her.
My favorite quote from the book is “the air tasted just the same, smelled just the same. The wind making my hair feel sticky, the salty sea breeze, all of it just felt right. Like it had been waiting for me to get here.” This is my favorite quote because it reminds me of when my family and I go to Mexico every summer.

One thought on “Rad Reading- October”